Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Strawberry Picking

We ventured out with the Robinsons and the Hennums for a morning of strawberry picking last week. We were out in the country and it was nice and hot. The boys were excited to get started! I had the bright idea to pick two baskets full of berries - and I think each basket is equal to one gallon. Two gallons is a LOT of strawberries!

Once we got home I had to come up with some ways to use or preserve those berries before they went bad. I ended up making a batch of freezer jam (which is a-w-e-s-o-m-e), freezing a gallon of them whole, and mashing up the rest then freezing that for later, too. I'm thinking I'll make some more jam and maybe some strawberry shortcake later when berries are not in season. I also got some good strawberry recipes from my Facebook friends. Hooray for strawberries!


Ready to go! Reid, Joshua, Bryce, and James.



Check out the strawberry juice dripping from his chin...

Bryce in his cool shades.

Looking for the perfect berry.

Reid (okay, and I) got to eat the ones that came off without the hull. They were so warm from sitting in the sunshine - so good!

Joshua and Jeannie.

Joshua showing off the goods.

Reid lost interest in the actual picking of the berries pretty quickly, but he stayed close to get those he was allowed to eat.

Juicy, red hands. :)

No comments: