Friday, August 15, 2008

All About Bunny...


Reid officialy has a lovey. We've had "Bunny" - or "Bunny Weaver," if you ask Reid - since he was 11 months old. I remember because we had found out that we were moving to South Carolina and were getting ready to stay at my mom's for a while right around his 1st birthday. On a trip to Ross (the store, not the husband) in B'ham, Reid spotted the furry, floppy bunny on an Easter display and grabbed for it. He held it in the cart during the entire trip and, being from Ross, it was pretty inexpensive. So, we bought it. He ended up liking it enough for me to go back and grab another one - thank goodness!

For over a year now, Bunny has been a fixture in our lives, but he did not run our life. He was always present at naptime or bedtime, and occasionally on a car ride. Bunny was always happy to stay in the car while we ran errands or be left in the floor who-knows-where until the next sleepy time came. But, no more.

Over the past couple of months, Bunny has become increasingly more demanding. Bunny is no longer content hanging out on the sidelines. No, no... Bunny is now the main event. Bunny is at or on the table at every meal. Bunny plays outside with us and rides in the tricycle basket to the playground. Bunny goes on all car trips, into all stores and restaurants. Bunny even has Reid offer assistance if Bunny wants to wave to a friend or push a button on a toy. Bunny and Reid have private conversations, and Bunny even likes to play with Thomas the Train. I even heard them talking about Sir Topham Hatt in the playroom just yesterday...

Fortunately, we do have a backup Bunny, though I suspect that Reid can tell one from the other. One Bunny's ears flop slightly differently than the other. This small difference cannot be seen by the untrained eye, but I know it's there and Reid sometimes seems to notice when I pull the old switcharoo. Just today I swapped them when he wasn't looking so one could be washed (we rotate them regularly so the have the same amount of wear and smell similar). At bedtime, he was looking around and when I asked what he was looking for he said, "my other Bunny." I tried to play it cool but I know he knows. It doesn't seem to matter too much, though, which is good.

Anyway, it is pretty entertaining around here with Reid and his best friend, Bunny. Sometimes Bunny is a hassle to deal with, but it sure is sweet when I can hear Reid tell Bunny that "I sure do love you." Priceless.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so sweet Jaime...:) He loves his bunny:) Do you have that book "Guess how much I love you" by Sam McBratney with the Bunnies on the front?It is a sweet book, he might enjoy it.:)

The Terrys said...

ok. this has just made my day. i have cracked up from your commentary! hahaha...but you have to admit...the bunny is cute and so is that reid!